Saturday, November 7, 2015

Let it Burn

After our group effort in creating an environment, we had an assignment to go back to our previous solo one and revamp the lighting system.

...for once my light abuse was actually a good thing. Or at least I think it was a good thing. Lighting in Unreal Engine is a lot different from Maya. I'm honestly baffled by how POWERFUL Unreal is. I can throw plants and lights at it and it takes them like a champ.

But that's besides the point. I revisited the Cathedral of the Damned and went to work lighting up the whole place, creating a fog, and setting the mood.

...the end result was apparently hell


Just in time for Halloween when I made it!




I purposely wanted to light up the Pagan Goddess statue since it's a central focal point. Also I wanted to make sure any possible players would see the chests located at the base. Lighting is real good for bringing attention to areas.


The Cathedral looks so eerie with the lights now





Back to our familiar broken wall exit I placed.



And out we go. Really the lights and fog made the back of the Cathedral much more terrifying than it was. You can now actually see all the skeletal remains everywhere. Not to mention the glowing hell fire walls.




I really like that skeleton.




Fun story about this particular shot is that the area jump scared me twice. See, in the center pillar there's a flag and it just so happens to be capable of movement in the breeze. Continuously, I would forget that piece was there while lighting up graves. As a result I'd suddenly see something moving in an area where things shouldn't be moving and instantly assumed that this movement was towards me. Which...would give me a scare. Really it was quite silly since I wasn't even in 'player mode' like the screens I'm showing off. Also I placed that flag there in the first place knowing that it could move in the breeze. Seriously very silly.







Here we are exploring the final shots of the place


I used up quite a number of lights, but the effect was neat and it really looks a lot better than the mood I had originally.

That's it for this update. I'll see what I post tomorrow~

No comments:

Post a Comment